Here, we look at just a few of the financial reasons that make the metro area so attractive to so many. read more
Atlanta, which has a reputation for being one of the most business-friendly cities in the nation, is proud to be a popular destination for many renowned companies that appear on the annual Fortune 500 list. In 2020, the City of Atlanta ranked third in the country for the number of Fortune 500 firms and fourth for companies on the Fortune 1000 list. In fact, today, Atlanta is home to 16 Fortune 500 companies and 14 Fortune 1000 businesses. The attraction to the city makes sense, as Atlanta offers access to a booming economy, a low corporate tax structure, a highly educated and skilled workforce, one of the world’s largest travel hubs, a right-to-work status, a growing innovation ecosystem and much more. And every day, numerous companies are either launching in or relocating to the metro area.
The metro area also continues to draw many other top businesses in the nation, including State Farm, IHG, Porsche Cars North America and Mercedes-Benz, all of which have established headquarters here and often appear on the list of metro Atlanta’s top employers. Their dedication to being a part of the metro area’s business community, as well as ensuring solid job opportunities for the local workforce, is a testament to the city and its ongoing efforts to create a welcoming and robust economic climate.
Atlanta Fortune 500 Companies
Rank / Company
#26: The Home Depot
#43: United Parcel Service
#68: Delta Air Lines, Inc.
#88: The Coca-Cola Company
#153: The Southern Company
#171: Genuine Parts Company
#309: PulteGroup, Inc.
#316: Newell Brands Inc.
#428: Asbury Automotive Group, Inc.
#439: NCR Corporation
#459: Intercontinental Exchange
#477: Graphic Packaging Holding Co.
#478: HD Supply Holdings, Inc.
Atlanta’s Top 20 Employers
Company / Full-Time Employees
1. Delta Air Lines, Inc. ~ 34,500
2. Emory University & Emory Healthcare ~ 32,091
3. The Home Depot ~ 16,510
4. Northside Hospital ~ 16,000+
5. Piedmont Healthcare ~ 15,900
6. Publix Supermarkets ~ 15,591
7. WellStar Health System ~ 15,353
8. The Kroger Co. ~ 15,000+
9. AT&T ~ 15,000
10. UPS ~ 14,594
11. Marriott International ~ 12,000+
12. Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta ~ 9,000
13. Cox Enterprises ~ 8,894
14. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) ~ 8,403
15. The Coca-Cola Company ~ 8,000
16. Southern Company (including Georgia Power) ~ 7,753
17. Grady Health System ~ 7,600
18. SunTrust Bank (now Truist) ~ 7,478
19. Georgia Institute of Technology ~ 7,139
20. (TIE) State Farm ~ 6,000
20. (TIE) Turner Broadcasting System ~ 6,000
Source: Metro Atlanta Chamber 2020